Saturday, June 2, 2012

Just another perk of my job….

I love my job for many reasons but one of the best perks of my job has to be the access I get to some of the City’s best restaurants and the Chefs who run the show. Through this job I have been able to establish some wonderful friendships with many Chefs around the city. One such friendship I cherish is the one I have with Ali Loukzada of Buddakan. It is he who not only keeps me well fed, but also listens to my bitching and bounces culinary ideas off of me.
With Buddakan just a few blocks away, Ali and I talk nearly every day whether its shooting the shit or my company providing him with meat. Last week Ali asked me to stop by to try out some new dishes he was working on. I ran over there as fast as I could to check out a Pork and Duck Liver terrine,  a Sous Vide lamb, and a Crispy Pork Belly with Congee.
Now I know not everyone is a fan of offal meats (entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal), but since going to culinary school I cannot get enough. The flavor profiles that can be created with these parts is just unreal and many Chefs feature offal prominently on their menus. If you are into offal hit up DBGB for superb headcheese, Bar Boulud for pristine terrines, The Breslin for crispy sweetbreads, and Lupa for succulent stewed tripe.
After all the meat I ate the past weekend at Meatopia, I had installed a 3 day “meat cleanse” but thanks to Ali I kissed that idea goodbye as I dove into each dish with excitement and hunger! Check out the goods below!
Pork and Duck Liver Terrine with Red Onion and Sweet Cherry Confit with Toast Points and Frisee Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
Various Lamb Parts Sous Vide with Fleur de Sel
*Sous Vide means to cook in a vacuum packed bag in a liquid bath*
Crispy Pork Belly with Congee and Pickled Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment